Today I am sitting in large scale meeting, engrossed in the Superintendent's message when I hear the subtle buzz of my phone...I think is that mine?. Trying to be discreet, I try to find it at the bottom of my purse, lap top bag, hmm, pocket maybe??? I think it must be some else's. This happens a few times. At lunch I find the phone..4 missed calls and series of voice mails. Eww, what might that mean?
Voicemail: Enter the deliberate calm voice, "Hi Kim, this is XXXX, Peeps just.. they were having lunch and Peeps came and told me (pause) well she said she stuck a kidney bean up her nose and she said, "it is not very comfortable". We can't see it but she says it is not comfortable, please call as soon you get this message."
I call Brett:(K) "Where are you?" (B) "I am at the doctor waiting for the bean to be extracted"
Now, I mentally hit the pause button and think work/child. A lot of self talk happens at this time. Cliff notes of my thoughts: Brett's there I won't make it there in time. Could she be traumatized by my lack of attendance for the bean extraction? How does one ask to be pardoned from the mandatory meeting for a bean extraction (would that be 1/2 day personal business on the time sheet?). Lastly, will the people that may be her supervisors in the future secretly smile at the thought that the "little blue-eyed genius girl with the sharp tongue" stuck a kidney bean up her nose when she was 3? How will that effect her acceptance to an Ivy League University?"
Just then Brett sends a picture message via the phone. I am now circled with a variety of adults all waiting to see the bean. WHEW! saved again, 4 minutes later that meeting picks up right where we left off and balance is restored. Life really is good.

1 comment:
Hysterical! I got the text at dinner last night & cracked up. Mike wanted to see what I was laughing at...so I showed him.
"What is that?"
"a bean"
"Where was it?"
"Read the message..." *pause*
"Eww. What's a Peeps & how did it get a bean in it's nose?"
*snicker*
Post a Comment